Here’s a quick synopsis of the last few days of my life:
- In trying to create a page for a new project idea, I discovered that my WordPress installation was now broken. WordPress is the thing that runs this site.
- In creating a new WordPress installation for my Tchou Tchou’s new website, I found that it was broken too. Out of the box. No final solution yet.
- I successfully started a mailing list for my extended family. My first use of the list was to wish my Grandparents a happy 65th wedding anniversary today. (Wow!)
- I bought a new 250-GB hard drive to house my growing media collection.
- I managed to decimate my computer’s hard drive at work and I lost everything. And I mean everything. Fortunately there was no important data there. I keep it all online or at home, surprisingly enough. I don’t know if it was my fault, though. A 7+ hour transfer from a USB hard drive locked up my Ubuntu and left the ext3 partition in an unmountable state. Bye bye data.
- In lieu of a working hard drive at work, I’m using Damn Small Linux as a life-raft “Live” operating system. At 50 MB, it’s awesomely powerful.
- I absolutely fell in love with Jonathan Coulton’s music when I heard his song “Shop Vac”. (Go download it. You know you want to.) Some of my money will be flying his way very soon.
- I reconnected with my friend Juraj from Calgary. We haven’t seen each other or talked since about 1999 or 2000, I think. I’m glad he uses the same email address, anyway. I’m still waiting to hear back from another lost friend, Matt, though.
- This week (and the next two) I’m helping my Tchou Tchou work on her research project for a course she’s taking. She’ll be surveying art students at the college level to get their opinions on curriculum and teaching style.
So, all in all, I’m quite busy, and I’m having mixed high and low experiences with computer technology. But the lows are pretty low right now. I wish things would stop breaking. <sigh> Yet, life is going well.
4 thoughts on “A quick synopsis of the last few days”
geez, talk about one busy dude. from meeting up with old friends to wrecking stuff lol. enjoy
Will have a listen to the Coulton track on your recommendation. I learned of his stuff from D Slusher promoing it on EGC when he did the EP for Popular Science. Addicted to his sound now! 🙂
Jim, yeah the Jonathan Coulton sound and lyrics are great. I was going to recommend “Shop Vac” for play on your Posithink podcast cause it tells the story of the road too often travelled in modern life.
Also, “I Feel Fantastic” would be a good choice, cause it’s a tongue-in-cheek look at our dependence on happy drugs.
Done, then. I’ll queue them up and add them to the next cast – thank goodness for Creative Commons!